Sailing Instruction at the Chapoquoit Yacht Club
Important Notes regarding Class Descriptions and Program Requirements
Meet the CYC Sailing Staff
- Staff members, including Junior Program Staff, are not responsible for children on the waterfront during non-class times. Please do not arrive more than 5-10 minutes ahead of your class time, and please remain on the beach until your child is under instruction.
- Junior Program Staff members will teach sailors how to rig their boats. Parents are highly encouraged to learn as well! Opti rigging seminars will be offered the first week and second week of the program. This will include an orientation to the Opti storage system(racks, tubes and "blade condo").
- ALL PARTICIPANTS in the CYC Sailing Programs MUST PASS a swim check, to be administered by staff on the first day of the student's term. Swim requirements include:
- demonstrated ability to swim approximately 25 yards while wearing a lifejacket;
- demonstrated ability to put a PFD (life jacket) on and take it off, while treading water, without assistance.
- ALL PARTICIPANTS in the CYC Sailing Programs MUST HAVE, and must wear (at all times when on the docks and boats) a properly-fitting, Coast Guard approved PFD (life jacket) with a working whistle (to be used in emergency only!) attached.
- Participants must also have closed-toe, non-skip footwear; a brimmed hat, and adequate sun protection (either long-sleeve clothing or sun block).
- Staff members are not responsible for providing sun block. A towel and appropriate clothes, depending on weather are strongly recommended. Sailors should show up for class rain or shine. Staff members will plan activities regardless of weather.
- Adults, whether accompanying young sailors or engaging in sailing activities themselves, are strongly encouraged to bring and use the same clothing and safety gear. Among other things, it sets a great example.
- Parents and/or Legal Guardians will be required to complete a Release from Liability in order for their children to participate in sailing instruction. You must either accep" the release provided during the online registration process or request a hard copy and sign that. Children for whom we do not have an approved Release may not participate in sailing instruction programs until the Release is completed. Persons seeking private Adult instruction must also sign a Release prior to setting out on the water.
Learn About Sailing Instruction for Non-Members